How to Wear, Clean & Store Jewellery
Jewellery, once bought, remains with us for a lifetime. However, good maintenance of Jewellery is essential to ensure durability. Thangamayil is here with some tips that will help you maintain your jewellery.
There are three crucial elements to ensure proper maintenance of jewellery- wear your jewels the right way, clean them properly and store them carefully.
1. Here are 4 basic guidelines to follow while wearing jewellery:
1. Wear your Jewellery in the end: Make sure that you wear jewellery after you are done applying lotion, cosmetics, hairspray, perfume & everything else. Wear your necklace & earrings only after you are done with your hair-do.
2. Do not expose Jewellery to chemicals: We often use chemical products at home while gardening and cleaning. Make sure to remove your bangles and other jewellery before touching these products.
3. Do not expose Jewellery to water: Remove jewellery before taking a shower, swimming or doing anything that leads to direct contact between the jewel & water.
4. Avoid wearing jewellery while doing physical work: Most women face the problem of bangles making contact utensils while cooking. This may lead to the stones falling off and damaging the jewel. Remember to remove and keep all your jewellery aside while cooking, cleaning and doing other physical activities.
2. Simple Ways to Clean Jewellery at Home:
1. After removing your jewellery, wipe each piece with a clean soft cloth to remove body oils and perspiration.
2. Clean your jewellery often with a soft brush as it will remove any dust that may have settled on the design.
How to clean Gold Jewellery at Home:
Clean gold jewellery in warm water with a few drops of mild-detergent. Use a soft-bristle brush to remove excessive dirt and remember to dry the piece with a soft cloth, post wash.
How to clean Silver Jewellery at Home:
Stir one teaspoon of salt or baking soda into hot water and submerge your jewellery into the solution, letting it sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, rinse the jewellery with cold water and dry it with a soft cloth.
How to clean Diamond Jewellery at Home:
The best way to clean Diamond Jewellery is by washing it in warm soap water and brushing it with a soft-bristle brush. Using diluted toothpaste is another option however; the paste might be too strong for the other metals in the jewellery and hence, should be avoided.
How to clean Pearl Jewellery at Home:
Pearls easily lose their lustre and must be cleaned with care. The best way to do this is by using a paint brush dipped in soap water to clean each pearl. After cleaning, the piece needs to be wiped gently with a damp cloth and kept aside to dry.
3. Things to remember while Storing Jewellery:
1. Store Jewellery in plastic boxes: This will ensure that your jewellery doesn’t get corroded. Use one plastic box for each set so that it is easy to look for them when needed. Preferably, label each plastic box to avoid confusion.
2. Wrap Jewellery in a thin and soft fabric: Within the plastic box, ensure that you wrap each of the earrings, bangles, rings and necklaces in individual fabrics so that they don’t rub against each other.
3. Use a jewellery case while travelling: It is important to keep jewellery safe while travelling and ensuring that they don’t get damaged. It also helps to keep the jewellery case between layers of clothing.
We hope that these simple jewellery care and maintenance tips will go a long way in keeping your jewellery in good shape.
Keep visiting the blog of Thangamayil Jewellery for many such useful articles on jewellery.
You may also visit our Facebook page for instant updates on exciting offers and events.